I remember as kid my parents telling me never to start smoking! But my father did (and he eventually passed from emphysema).
But it’s hard for someone to actually believe that smoking is bad, when you feel fine, and others smokers that you know also feel fine!
This dichotomy between one’s own experiences and what one is being told, makes it a tough sell!
However nowadays the detailed information available to us makes it even harder! The evidence is overwhelming! Below I offer a summary of what is now known. If a smoker is aware of these FACTS and doesn’t immediately seek help to quit, they are probably deserving of the inevitable consequences!
- Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals! At least 50 of these are KNOWN CARCINOGENS (cause cancer in humans) and many are just classified as poisonous!
- Tobacco kills up to HALF of its regular users!
- Tobacco caused 100 MILLION deaths in the 20th century!
- Cigarettes are on of the few products, which can be sold legally, which can harm or kill you over time, if used as intended!
- Scientists claim that the average smoker will lose 14 YEARS of their life due to smoking!
- Nicotine reaches the brain within 10 seconds after smoke is inhaled, and has been found in every part of the body as well as breast milk!
- Sugar approximates to roughly 20% of a cigarette, and many diabetics are unaware of this secret sugar intake. Also the effects on the body of inhaling burning sugar is unknown!
- “Lite” cigarettes are produced by infusing tobacco with CO2 and superheating it until the tobacco “puffs up” like expanding foam. the expanded tobacco then fills the same paper tube as a “regular” tobacco!
- On average, smokers draw on “lite” and menthol cigarettes harder than regular ones, causing the same levels of tar and nicotine to be consumed!
- The manufacturer uses several active ingredients, and special methods of production to ensure that the nicotine levels in a cigarette is many time more potent than that of a tobacco plant!
- Cigarettes cost a lot of money, $5 to $14 (in New York)! That’s a lot of cash (more than $5000 for NY) over a year, even if you only smoke one pack per day!
We have many methods available today, to help a person quit, such as:
- Gradual reduction
- Nicotine replacement therapy
- Nasal sprays
- PEMF therapy
- Low level laser therapy
These methods have varying degrees of cost, time, and success! And, most important of all, the person MUST want to quit! If someone really enjoys smoking, and they don’t have any medical symptoms (yet), they will not stop, no matter what method they use!
Tobacco is a nasty addiction that ONLY affects your health and life in a negative way. Think of what you could do with all that extra cash you will have on hand after you stop!
With the huge downsides of the smoking habit, which include poor health, complaints from friends and spouse, dealing with the many “Non Smoking” areas being enforced now, and the cost, it would behoove any current smoker to find a quitting option that will work for them!
TO YOUR HEALTH!