Does cholesterol cause heart disease? Most people would answer yes, but there are two sides to this story. These books take a different view…
- The Cholesterol Myths: Exposing the Fallacy That Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease
- The Great Cholesterol Con: Why everything you’ve been told about cholesterol, diet, and heart disease is Wrong!
- The Cholesterol Wars: The Skeptics vs. the Preponderance of the Evidence
- The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes, Heart Disease and How to Avoid It
According to these books and many others the answer is NO, however lets take a look back at where it all started…
The pop science version of the cholesterol story goes like this…
- “When you eat fatty foods, especially foods rich in animal fat, the saturated fat and cholesterol in these foods wind up in your blood and stuck in your arteries”
- “Your arteries are much like pipes. When they get caked up with grease, blood flow is impaired, and a heart attack ensues.”
You can easily see the similarities between a clogged pipe, and a clogged artery! This IS a problem, but what actually causes this to happen? To prevent this from happening to you is it as simple as not eating high cholesterol-containing foods? NOPE! Wrong answer.
Not one scientist that promoted the idea of cholesterol being a part of heart disease ever believed this silliness…
- What they did promote was that cholesterol would elevate in the blood and penetrate the arterial wall.
- White blood cells enter in the arterial wall and gobble up the cholesterol.
- This causes inflammation and the development of a local fibrous lesion (plaque).
- Plaque ruptures and causes a heart attack or stroke.
Sure sounds like cholesterol causes heart attacks! So is it true? Well there more to the story.
Let’s go back to 1909 where a scientist named Ignatowski produced atherosclerosis in rabbits by feeding them meat, eggs and milk. It was this that made the connection between food and plaque. However, no rabbits suffered from heart disease! The plaque that they developed never broke off, causing a heart attack. The main differentiating factor is that most animals, except humans produce their own Vitamin C. This factor plus many others (toxin, bad fats and sugar), lead to a huge difference between humans and animals!
It’s not the cholesterol alone that causes heart disease! Our bodies are much more complex and must be treated as a whole (holistically) not focusing on a particular part.
In 1913 a scientist named Anitschkov followed Ignatowski’s work, but he was looking more for causative factors. Anitschkov said it was not just the cholesterol, but other injurious factors that affect the way we use or break down the cholesterol. Even back then Anitschkov knew there were other factors, but he had no way of measuring oxidative stress to confirm the real culprit. It wasn’t until 1979 that oxidation came to light, however, due to his own work, the “cholesterol only” theory had already taken root. The oxidative stress process is what happens to metals when they rust.
Oxidized LDL triggers genes in the white blood cells (monocyte) which converts them to macrophages, and eventually into foam cells (these cells cause plaque). This in turn damages and slows the production of collagen which leads to a rupture of fibrous plaque. Ultimately, oxidation of LDL injures endothelial cells, (cells that make up the arterial wall) and causes inflammation. LDL due to it’s polyunsaturated fatty acid membrane is very susceptible to oxidative stress. AND the small particles of LDL oxidize more.
- A 1988 study showed that people with a predominance of small dense LDL particles were 3x more likely to suffer heart attacks.
- Another study showed the smaller the particles get, the more oxidation that occurs.
- Other studies have shown the smaller particles are more likely to penetrate and get stuck in the subendothelial space than the larger ones.
So, it’s the Number and the Size of cholesterol particles that matter. And the total cholesterol number is irrelevant! Consider this analogy – each cholesterol particle is like a car, and the people in the car represent the total cholesterol reading. When it comes to a traffic jam, what matters, the number of people in the cars or the number of cars?
Clearly the number of cars (particles) is what matters and NOT the total cholesterol number (number of passengers in the cars)!
So what does cause cardiovascular problems? Its the same things that affect inflammation – toxins, bad fats, and sugar.
(The above left picture is not an organic apple, and the center picture is an image of margarine not butter!)
If this sounds familiar, these are the same things that cause the cellular inflammation problem! See my earlier post!
In fact, I believe that these are the root of all chronic disease! If more people got this concept in their heads, the level of chronic disease would drop precipitously! But instead the population has been brainwashed into thinking that the main weapon against disease is pharmaceuticals, and the main pharmaceutical used in the battle against cholesterol is statin type drugs. Let’s examine some statistics on statins:
- According to the American Heart Association there are 450,000 new cases of heart failure per year that are likely due to widespread statin use, especially in older Americans
- Your heart is a muscle and statins attack the muscles
- They block the production of coenzyme Q10 that your muscles need to contract, including the muscle of the heart (this leads to congestive heart failure)
- A Columbia University Study found that within 30 days of taking statins, Q10 levels drop by a shocking 50%
- You also need Q10 to produce cellular energy (ATP), and studies show low cell energy (ATP) is the cause of 75% of all heart attacks
- Statins are prescribed at a young age and you stay on them for life (it’s a 34 billion dollar cash cow)
- 1 in 3 people over the age of 50 are on statins… WOW
- Scripts are written at a rate of 20,000 an hour… DOUBLE WOW
- Millions of customers were created overnight by lowering the “normal cholesterol level” from 250 to 200 (220 to 250 is still the avg.)
- 30 million people have bought in to this BS (belief system), and are currently taking statins
- USA Today reported, June 2011, “Statins Like Simvastatin Cause Severe Muscle damage” (second most prescribed drug in the US; Lipitor is first)
- March 2009, “Statin study: Lower Cholesterol, Diminished Joy of Sex”
So we see that the wrong interpretation on cholesterol has taken hold, and the truth is first now getting around to the masses. Cholesterol is not the direct cause of heart disease, it’s the oxidation of the small LDL particles that become embedded in the wall of the arteries forming plaque.
So the fix for heart disease (and, IMHO, all chronic disease) is simple, reduce inflammation through removing the sources of inflammation, correct diet (elimination of bad fats, toxins and sugars) and the correct supplementation to fix the cell membrane, re-establish methylation, help generate glutathione and ATP.
If you want to check your blood for this problem of small, dense particles of LDL, ask for the particle test, NOT just the total cholesterol test, which as we have proven is totally irrelevant! We offer these in our wellness center through two different labs.
Make your health a priority NOW…or it will be later!